Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Purpose & What you'll find here...

Originally this blog was meant for reading reflections during my Summer A Indie Study with the chair of my Capstone Committee. Now I'd really like this to also entail my classroom transformation and any other thoughts I have about Choice-Based Art Education.

I decided to get a head start on some of the reading for my Indie Study. The focus is on Choice-Based learning and filling myself with as much knowledge as possible about the approach and method. So far the best definition I can give is a classroom studio and delivery method approach that encourages students to be the artists and create art based on their own fascinations while giving them choices about how they make their ideas come to life. That definition comes from what I've gathered throughout my readings thus far.

The more I read the more excited I get. The more excited I get the more daydreaming of what I'll do, how my classroom will look and how my students will feel when they enter the room for the first time.

I have currently read the first 89 pages of Choice without Chaos by Anne Bedrick and that has done nothing but make me so excited for the unique and meaningful work that students can create while working in a choice-based learning environment. There are so many other valuable life skills that students can learn through this approach like time management and problem solving. I also find that I learn more about my students when they create based on their own interest.

The first 89 pages have talked about different room set up and strategies that are used in the classroom. So much of it is common sense and it has truly made me smack my forehead in 'oh duh' moments. I found it helpful that there was a new center every chapter and that there were adjustments made for different grade levels.

So far I am fascinated and I cant wait to get to work on my research.

Bedrick, A. (2012). Choice without Chaos. [iBook].

No comments:

Post a Comment