Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Summer Camp: Day one- shock, awe and attitude!

Shortly after I posted last week my stools arrived and my room began to come together. I decided that some of the resources and menus could wait until we got to that center. That way it would be something new and fresh in the room.

The first day of summer camp always brings some new faces and many familiar ones that I dont get to see during the school year. The kids that come during the summer have a completely different attitude than the ones who attend all year round. It makes for an interesting balance of attitude and lesson on respect for all. As my kids say "Ohhhhhh, they tried me." But that is every year until they figure out that it is in their best interest to give their best effort and have some fun.

For the members who are familiar with the Art Lab and attend all year seeing the room changed was a shock to them. They were like "Missssssss, you changed the room! It looks huge!" They seemed to like the new arrangement and waited patiently for me to get through my first day expectations, routine and general classroom housekeeping.

I promised them that they would never hear me talk for that long of a time again and many of them seemed relieved. Trust me that I was too because there was a lot to talk about regarding routine, materials, supplies and such. I tried to stress the clean up as much as possible and the first group did well. When the second group left there were markers in the colored pencils and it was generally messier than I would have liked. I will have to make a comment about that next week as I keep track of who cleans what.

The first project was the only one they were required to do because it was a portfolio to store future work and I needed one from everyone.  There was my first HAVE TO and it went well for most of the members. I found it amazing how hard of a time they had telling me things they liked. The most popular answers were food and sleep. This is probably due having to get up early to catch the bus, for that I can not blame them, it is their summer. I agreed to let them continue their portfolios next week because many of the blocks were shortened due to first day issues and getting everyone where they were supposed to be.

I also have a Pull Out Painting class where I invite (read as: hand pick) members who have a genuine interest in art and desire to learn to paint. It proved to be an interesting class with some really good kids and one surprised me. As she was about to finish her painting she called me over and she said "Would you like to hear what it is about?" She told me the elaborate story, each pieces significance and how she went about it. It completely made my day that someone had an idea, a plan, a method and a story and wanted to share it.

Yesterday I also received an email from the IRB office letting me know that my study was conditionally approved and that I only had to make small changes to the protocol and consent forms. I look forward to seeing the members in the Fall and who participates in the study. For now I'm gaining amazing experience transitioning to choice in my everyday classroom.

I'm having fun and I think the kids are having fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment