Monday, June 17, 2013

Week Two- Introducing Pastel & attempting Collage

So my first thought is that I'm trying to fit too much into one day. Many of these members have been attending for years and I thought that they could handle the multiple materials and that this would be a good way to spread them out in the room.

For the first Block of the day I tried both. The second block was a MUCH rowdier group so I only introduced them to pastel. The members seems to take to it well. I demonstrated the way to blend and
create layers. I also showed them how to use a kneaded eraser to remove some of the smudges. At the end they learned about fixative so that their images wouldn't smudge in their portfolios. This went well and many of the members tried it out.

Some of the members went directly to their comfort zone of drawing their name. I let it slide because of what I read in the TAB group. This was their comfort and I wanted to praise them and show them it was ok until they found inspiration otherwise.

Some continued to work on their portfolios using the markers and colored pencils from the past week. This was ok with me because it told me they wanted to put some honest effort into their portfolio.

One member went ahead starting a comic book because he said when he grew up he wanted to write comics. I encouraged him to start now. By the end he had come up with the main characters. This pleased me. He built on an interest.

The first block was mainly old members so I felt comfortable showing them collage, complete with fancy scissors and shape cutters. They did a good job until it came to clean up. They rushed a little but I caught them and we went through the paper again to salvage the good pieces. I let them know that the more conservative they were the longer they would be able to use it. It went well overall.

The "learned it" post it was difficult for many of them but this was the first week. I reminded them and gave
them examples. They didn't do too bad. It is just getting used to the new routine. Overall, after some talks with the second group, order was restored.

I'm finding this way of teaching a lot more fun but a lot of work- which isn't a bad thing. During the school year I dont see nearly as many members and I know it will ease up a bit. Also many of them are in lazy mode because it is the summer. I keep encouraging and after a few pushes they seem to do well. I ALWAYS tell them "you are smart, you are capable, there is nothing here that you cant do, if you think it is bad then work to make it better" I remind them that we are here to make them "productive, caring, responsible citizens." I love my challenging kids, they remind me why I do what I do.

Art with a Heart
-Ms. Alexa

No comments:

Post a Comment