Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Classroom as it is..

As promised, here are some pictures of my classroom before the ultimate transformation. I have been cleaning so things are in semi-order. There are a lot of projects to be completed before the end of the school year.
 Standing at the front door and looking at the 'back wall' this is the view. All the tables are organized against the wall to maximize space and teach whole group lessons. This is going to change dramatically. I have started to inventory all of the furniture and dream up where I'm going to store things like the screen printing machine. This small table at the front with the stool is my 'second desk' mostly like the prep table where I keep supplies and things are mostly necessary for me. (think: attendance, supplies and randoms.)
 This is the back wall and my only window to the outside. I'm hoping that I can place my drawing station here so there is some inspiration either on or outside the window. The cubbies on the back wall will serve as space for drawing and collage resources. Exactly how has yet to be decided. The table in the front holds large projects that are currently in progress or need to be away from younger members.
 This is technically the 'front wall' but really isn't any more since  I changed the orientation of the classroom. My main desk is in the far corner. Next to the bulletin board is the large 4' x 8' public mural we are working on through a partnership with a restaurant. This is number 2 of 4 and they are all sports themed.

The picture below is the entrance to the class and along the back wall is the one VERY tiny sink. I try to do projects that minimize hand washing because this itself is a 25 minute process. (I never knew kids were so determined to have nice nails, even the boys.) So that is my classroom as it is right now. I'm already making sketches about where I plan to put new centers and resources. I'm trying to keep the back wall sort of free so we can have share time in front of the hanging gallery. It will also be a good place for a 5 minute museum talk.All those empty cubbies along the entrance wall will be the storage for portfolios (or so I think it will be at this time).

No comments:

Post a Comment