Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Learner Directed Classroom- Jaquith & Hathaway

I recently decided to take a break from Engaging Learning through Artmaking and have started to read The Learner Directed Classroom by D. Jaquith and N. E. Hathaway. I just wanted to switch over so I could wrap my head around some of the studio aspects like routine, demos and the first few centers to open. I scanned the book before reading it and realized that each chapter was a different educator/researcher writing on different classroom/studio environments. I am reading this book differently that I would normally [from front to back], instead I pick and choose which sections I think apply most to what I'm aiming for.

The chapters that have interested me the most or been most similar to my own future project were Chapter 3: Engaging Middle School Students Through Choice-Based Art: A Personal Reflection by L. Papanicolaou and Chapter 7: Testing the World Through Play and Art by G. Szekely.

Chapter 3 was most useful because it is the same age group I am planning to target when I conduct the research project. Also because much of what I read is set in an Elementary school, it was inspiring to read that this same format functions in middle school. I think that I am excited and scared to do this all with middle schoolers because middle schoolers have the ability to reflect on more complex ideas BUT they also are more concerned with others perception of their ideas. This often suppresses good ideas for fear of it not being accepted. At this point in their lives they just want to fit in. The positives outweigh the negatives and I think that if an accepting environment is created ideas can be freely shared without fear.

Chapter 7 struck a chord with me because I feel play is a component to learning that shouldnt be forgotten through the progression of grades. Playing encourages exploration and idea development. It encourages creation and involves decision making and problem solving. This chapter is mostly targeted to younger students but I think that I can apply it across the board. Also to show that play is allowable and encouraged in class is important. Many times students are worried that they will get in trouble for playing but as long as it is done in a nonharmful/non destructive that shows respect for materials being played with, I dont see a problem. I also know that Szekely writes on play often and I hope to read more of his work soon.

The last few days I have been discovering an abundance of blogs from other educators on choice. I have been having a lot of fun reading about their own instructional choice-methods and how they make it all work. I find it interesting that there are so many fiber arts centers. That is one thing that I can never remember doing but I still want to try. Since we are in the cleaning and planning for summer stages I have been finding awesome odds and ends to make my classroom work. I found over 50 of the plastic eyelet stitching 'sheets'. I got a little excited because now I had a start to a future center.

On one of those blogs I came upon the mention of 8 Studio Habits of mind. I didn't know what they were so I dug a little deeper and discovered they are by Lois Hetland. They are:
  • Developing craft
  • engage and persist
  • envision and express
  • observe
  • reflect
  • stretch and explore
  • understand art world
I want to learn more about these and how these habits can encourage my members to have artistic tendencies.

Still waiting on my Unfolding Artistic Activity book. I'm looking forward to reading it because it was published so long ago and want to see how it applies to choice today. I'm excited about my growing collection of books, websites, and blogs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment