Monday, May 13, 2013

End of the School Year

As we begin to wrap up the 2012-2013 school year I keep thinking about my upcoming switch to choice-based learning. I'm getting a little nervous that some members wont take to it and I'm trying to plan ahead to cover all my bases. I try to talk more about it to prepare my members, many of which will be attending during the summer and the following school year. The first week of summer will be interesting because so many of the members attend a school based site during the school year and it is totally different than being in the main campus building. The number of children I see on a weekly basis basically triples during the summer, the days and block times are much longer as well. It is a completely different environment.

I cant physically move anything in my classroom because on June 1st they will be removing EVERYTHING in my classroom to strip the floors and re-do them.(the custodians HATE my room because I have SO much stuff- but that's the art room) I have been trying to label and organize things as a go in order to make the transition a bit smoother. I have made a few floor plans in hopes to help me organize the space itself as well as a tracking sheet for my future students. This will help me keep everyone in order and track their center, learning and attendance. My hopes are that at the end of the term there are enough really amazing works to have a small show. I think this will be a good experience to recognize all the artists.

Today I am including a picture of my most interesting and complete floor plan. I hope that this will work out and will really find out when I get to move all my furniture and tables back in June 3rd.

At the same time I continue to read on Choice-Based learning. This time I've been on Knowledge Loom- TAB. I recently ordered a book "Unfolding Artistic Activity" by Henry Schaffer-Simmern and am looking forward to getting that in the mail.

If you tilt your head to the right the picture might be easier to see. (I haven't learned to rotate things in blogger yet..oops) The entrance is on the left. It isn't to scale which worries me but it is just an idea of where I think things will work best. I also have to compensate for the fact that I will also be teaching a three hour painting class once a week and that I should have an area big enough with tables close enough that can be pushed together or moved easily for use.

I'm still feeling inspired but a bit overwhelmed with the amount of information. I keep trying to remind myself, one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment