Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Resources for centers

One of the things that I have always felt was lacking in my classroom was the book resources in my measly little library. I had inherited an abundance of books that were anywhere from one to 30 years old from years of donations. Every year or so I go through them and hope to find them useful or find a way to incorporate them into my classes.

This year I have a new purpose and approach and wanted to try and make the most of the good books and weed out the useless magazines and auction booklets. What I found was an abundance of books that would go right over my students heads but kept them anyway in the hopes they might find some use.

The auction booklets proved to be more interesting and I started to cut out different works of art that caught my eye. I plan to use them to make my bulletin board for the summer with a theme something along the lines of art coming in all shapes, sizes and styles. I also thought that it was pretty cool that someone owned those auction booklets and many of them had pricing for the pieces. I think that could turn out to be a good conversation about what art costs.

At the same time I have been reading the TAB yahoo group forums and found a thread about resources for centers. I was excited to find books that my students could use and might even be a little more user friendly for them. On my list of books to order from amazon are:
  • Journal Junkies Workshop
  • Beautiful Stuff
  • Soap Carving: For Children of all ages
  • Painting & Children
  • Color by Betty Edwards
  • In the Paint by Patrick Ewing
I think that these books will be helpful and that my students might even find them more interesting than what is already on the bookshelves.

As I learn to use the forum I am reading threads on the many aspects of TAB and even being able to communicate with wonderful educators all around the country. This is the last week of school for my kids and next week the building is closed so I will have time to CLEAN and MAKE many of my posters and informational resources for each of the centers. Pictures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment