Friday, May 17, 2013

Scavenger Mode

Lately I have been rummaging through my cabinets and generally being more aware of containers and how they could be used in my classroom. I have been taking all the giant paint bottles that are empty and cutting them in half. Then that turned into containers from my house and then the jug that my windshield wiper fluid came in and now people are bringing me more containers! Things I can actually use are starting to pile up and I am thankful because it will give me a way to organize materials when I create my centers.

Due to the HUGE bucket of unwrapped broken crayons and this amazing wax melting palette I bought from dickblick I think I can have an encaustic station when the time is right. That makes me really happy because we are using left over supplies in a new way. I might even throw in a candle making week for the much older kids. Already experimenting, which I have to say is my favorite part of my job. Having continuous piles of supplies and trying to make sense of them which usually turns out into some really cool pieces.

Some of my kids have taken to doing side projects and one of my teens is having a book fascination. She tears apart old books the librarian gives her and has turned it into this fantastic tree sculpture and a pretty sweet purse. Another teen is busy creating a sketchbook and rewrapping the cover in some new fancy fabrics that were just donated. It only reinforces my hopes that when they are intrinsically motivated, they are more willing to work for longer periods of time and are concentrated on their work.

All for now, going back to reading. The Unfolding of Artistic Activity arrived yesterday and my interest has been piqued.

No comments:

Post a Comment