Friday, May 3, 2013

"No one is invisible in art class" ( Douglas & Jaquith, 2009, pg. 34)

I was in the middle of reading and this sentence closed a paragraph. It automatically struck me that this is something I have already noticed while attempting to ease my students into the idea of creating art from ther own ideas. In the short time that I have been allowing more freedom I have learned so much about my students that I would have never known if I had chosen the theme for them. I saw genuine effort and attempts at new ideas and furthing old ones. It was incredibly fascinating that a young student could recall every small detail from a Pokemon character and describe his powers and spend his time working on something that really engaged him. The only requirement for this project of their own ideas was to practice blending colors with color pencils. He did not only that but was so proud of his work that he wanted me to hang it.

Another plus, I haven't seen anything thrown away since I let them choose. It is such a wonderful feeling as an art teacher to see students learning, completely engaged, getting to know them, and being PROUD of their own work. Made my little art teacher heart melt.

This is not the only student Ive been blessed to learn more about either. It is amazing how much they want to talk about their ideas when given the time.

-Alexa

No comments:

Post a Comment