Sunday, May 5, 2013

So many options for centers.. where to start

After completing one book (Choices without Chaos by Anne Bedrick) and being about a 1/3 of the way through the second (Engaging Learners through Artmaking: Choice Based Art Education in the Classroom by K. Douglas and D. Jaquith). I'm learning and thinking about the logical order in which to open and introduce centers.

It seems almost obvious that some kind of drawing {materials?,subject matter? style?} should come first but even within that there are so many different options. Do you show students pencils, colored pencils, markers,  pastels, charcoals and pen and ink all in one 5 minute demo?! It dont know that its possible, so do we assume that they can handle the basics on their own and only need intro to charcoal, pastel, and pen and ink? Is pen and ink too much at first? Should that be a demo all on its own?

I really think that the only way to figure it out is to try it out. It might depend on the students themselves and their prior knowledge of materials. Being so new to this, I think it is important to start slow and really watch how the students react to the materials and the structure of the class. I think that will allow me to reflect on the ways the students interact with the materials and how they go about developing their ideas using a material they have just been introduced to. This way I can take notes and make changes along the way.

Bedrick opens the collage center second and that seems a little more manageable, until I start thinking about confetti sized pieces of magazine left over and hidden in between all the good paper. I think that this center will require good organization and maybe even a chart with "If the scrap is smaller than this shape, please throw it out" and it would have a shape that they could hold up the scrap to and measure. That would also cut down on the times I would hear "Miss Alexa, is this too small to keep?" Now, to use glue stick or to use elmer's glue? Elmers glue lasts longer, but takes longer to dry. Glue sticks dry almost instantly but dry out if they aren't covered properly and dont last as long? Convenience or expense? Being a non-profit we have a lot of donated school supplies so as long as those keep providing the Elmer's glue more than glue sticks I will have to ration glue sticks.

Painting is normally third but I would like to do printmaking and working with stamps. I have not thought much about this center yet though. Must read more.

I dont know that it is common to demo a material again or provide more information for those interested. But maybe go back to drawing a little and introduce other relevant materials to drawing in another 5 minute demo? Or is that a way I could differentiate between age groups? Maybe seeing it again from a different perspective would intrigue other students that weren't so motivated the first time? Like giving them a second opportunity to be inspired?

I seem to have a lot of questions again. So back to reading I go.

2 comments:

  1. I, like you, am just beginning a TAB art program. I've been "piloting" some centers these last few weeks of school to start working out some of the kinks. You & I agree with the sequence (draw, collage, stamping, then painting). I did not into any new materials at drawing, just some ideas on menu posters. At collage I added crazy scissors this week. Also I saw on a blog making glue sponges. They are great! Soak a kitchen sponge with white glue & keep in a lidded container. Kids just have to press their collage piece on the sponge, place & count to 10. No puddles, no plastic waste-I hated throwing away all the glue stick tubes. I did have trouble with stamping, though. Kids didn't clean their stamps well enough before changing colors and they pushed the stamps into the ink & their papers too hard. I will have to re-demo it. I am envious of your room. I have 3 rooms (itinerant) & I have to set up & break down every visit because the room is shared with others. But I'm still excited about TAB. The kids have said they love it and some of the art has been delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your input Carol! I also saw the glue sponges and definitely plan on making a few. There are some really great tips in Choice without Chaos by Anne Bedrick on how to have mobile centers for educators who move from room to room. I am glad that your kids are enjoying and you're getting some really great work.

    I wonder if you could make just a water sponge that the kids could rub their stamps on to remove the color? Just a thought, much luck in the upcoming school year. Please keep me updated of how it goes!

    ReplyDelete