Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Let's talk motivation..

No matter how many resources, demos, centers, tracking sheets and supplies that I put out, my students still need to find the motivation. This part truly scares me because my kids can be a little rough around the edges, but I believe in their abilities, even when they don't. Many have very different life experiences, some first generation American born some recently from their own country. Personally, I find that a motivating factor of making, but they might not. Many times when I ask them to tell me their interests they shrug and tell me nothing. I worry that my older students won't push themselves to explore. While I was reading Lessons without Limit by Falk & Dierkling I came upon a sub-section on motivation. They state that people are highly motivated when:
  1. They are in supporting environments.
    1. Every term I make it clear that the art lab is a place for supporting others ideas and helping out our fellow artist. This can be seen in peer teaching, which occurs almost naturally. 
  2. They are engaged in meaningful activities
    1. I think this is my opportunity to provide them with the space and materials to explore their meaningful ideas. 
  3. They are freed from anxiety, fear and other negative mental states.
    1. This goes with the supporting environments comment but this is difficult because generally middle schoolers really care what others think because this is their time to 'fit in'
  4. They have choices and are in control of their learning
    1. The more I mention having control and designing their own projects, the more excited they get. They remember too! They bring it up and ask for it, but this is still Elementary school and middle school is a whole other ball of wax. 
  5. The challenges of the task meet their skills.
    1. Many of my students worry that their skills aren't up to par and then make a comment because mine is 'better' than theirs. I simply tell them that if they keep practicing than they can be even better than me! 
I worry that my middle schoolers will be timid or will not enjoy the way the studio runs. While we can always make improvements to the routine or demos, how do we reach those students who simply believe they aren't artistic and their time to learn has passed? I constantly encourage and try to motivate them but am I missing something? How do I reach those who seem unmoved by anything that is presented? You'd think that by having a choice it opens up a myriad of possibilities for each student. I want them to be intrinsically motivated by their personal desires.

I'm excited, nervous and motivated to seek the answers and observe the way this classroom structure works. Can't wait to make my signs, menus and resources next week.

4 comments:

  1. I'm working on transitioning to choice. I ended the school year by letting my 6th grade students design their own lessons. I did approve them just to make sure we had the supplies and have a chance to conference with them before they started. I found that the couple students who had their minds made up to not enjoy and not try all year were the same even with the choice to make whatever they wanted. But, I figured if only one or two out of 130+ had that attitude, that's a pretty good ratio! I don't really understand the attitude but I'm not 12! The majority of the students were more engaged and motivated than with traditional lessons. I'm excited to keep moving toward choice. I'm planning to start transitioning at my intermediate school in the fall and hopefully at my primary school 2nd semester.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to mention, if you dont have it already, the Yahoo Teaching for Artistic Behavior Group is extremely helpful when transitioning to choice.

      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TAB-ChoiceArtEd/

      Delete
    2. I need to spend some time digging through the archives but I've been reading the emails from the yahoo group for a while. I wrote a research proposal in a graduate course about TAB and was directed to the group when looking for sources.

      Delete
  2. Hi Katie,
    Thanks for your comment (my first one, yay!). For a second your name looked familiar and then I realized its because I've read your blog too. I appreciate your comment and I agree that one or two out of 130+ isn't bad at all! I also dont understand the attitude of a 12 year old not wanting to make their own choices, you'd think that would be ideal. I know I'm going to battle a few over not being productive but I think that as a whole my students will react well and enjoy their personal making journeys. I also have to keep in mind that it is summer and I think that has a lot to do with their I dont want to attitude. I'm hoping to WOW them the first day and entice them into bringing their own ideas. I'm excited and will most definitely be posting a reflection on how it went.

    Keep Calm & Carry On because it is the end of the school year! :)

    ReplyDelete